[CentOS-devel] The Branding Hunt - howto

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 3 02:10:43 UTC 2014

hi

Here is what's happening at the moment :
1) All the srpms published so far from RHEL are being imported into git
repos, and brought into git.centos.org to be hosted under 'The CentOS
Linux' group.

2) CentOS-5, CentOS-6 and CentOS-7 content will be hosted in 'c5', 'c6',
'c7' branches, with no content in master, other than a readme file
pointing to the branches. Only '7' content being imported right now, we
will try and retrofit the 5 and 6 content in the coming weeks.

3) there are components for all the distro pieces in bugs.centos.org
already ( if not, please shout and someone will create them )

This is how we can run the branding hunt best :
A) find a component that needs a patch
B) clone the git repo that matches the srpm name that component came
from. eg: git clone https://git.centos.org/git/distro!kernel.git
C) create a patch for what you want the change to be
D) make sure you also add a patch to the .spec file with your name and
your email ID, this is what will get credited with the change
E) open an issue report at bugs.centos.org, against Project: CentOS-7
and component that you want to patch. Write up details, attach patch.
F) Goto A

What we also need to do is establish a whitelist of components that
people have looked at and found nothing. Please dont blanket assume that
things like lib* or perl* dont need changes, only consider whitelisting
code you have physically checked using reasonable means. For these
things, please also open issue reports at bugs.centos.org and mention
Whitelist in the subject of the issue report, again selecting CentOS-7
as the Project and the component name as required.

Another thing to keep in mind with the whitelist is that its OK to check
stuff other people might have already checked, the more whitelist
reports we get, the better is the overall confidence in getting it in.

If you need to patch a binary component, dont do a binary diff - just
attach the new blurb that needs replacing in and mention the blurb that
needs to go, we will try and automate that.

Questions, reports, comments : come find us in #centos-devel on
irc.freenode.net and centos-devel list ( http://lists.centos.org/ ).
Also, keep in mind that the git repos are only going to be online at
git.centos.org in about 8 hrs to 12 hrs time ( midday UTC June 3rd ), in
the mean time you can still start off by consuming srpms from here :
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/rhel/rc/7/

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh