[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jun 25 22:02:24 UTC 2014

Hi

As in CentOS-6, I think we should skip the CD isos; there is little
point in that ( but we should do the minimal ISO, lets keep conversation
about that on its own thread ).

The main distro is just a hint over 6.6GB, that means we cant really put
all the stuff into a single DVD[1]; so we need to do the splits. In the
past, we've done multiple installs making sure that all the installable
components from the installer's groups, in english atleast, are all on
DVD#1 and the rest can goto DVD#2. I suspect that strategy will work
here as well, and does someone want to give it a shot and come up with a
list of rpms that are installable via the installer.

If anyone is wondering about the rest: yes, there are rpms included in
the distro, hosted in the DVD's that are not installable from the groups
available to the user at install time. They can certainly be installed
from kickstart, but the general assumption is that people doing those
sort of installs are likely not doing them from DVD media.

Also, there seems to be interest in jidgo; has anyone worked with that
in the past ? and whats to help us get that setup as well ?

Regards

[1]: maybe we should do a single large 6.6GB ISO as well, and have it
available only on torrents, for people who might want or have access to
that large format media, or people who just want a copy of the primary
repo without using rsync. Thoughts ?

--
Karanbir Singh