[CentOS-devel] The CentOS Release Number Typography

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 20:37:25 UTC 2014

On 06/05/2014 10:20 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> On 6/5/14, Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Confusion where?
>
> Well, from a monolithic point of view. It might be confusing to
> have one artistic motif in the installer, another in the
> desktop-background, and other different in the web pages for the
> same major release. In this case the artistic motif is a visual
> component that helps to strengthen the visual connection between
> CentOS visual manifestations and the release they refer to.
>
>> To make it easy to identify the CentOS version running on a
>> particular computer?
>
> Yes. Although it is not limited to one particular computer, but
> the entire project visual structure. I think it would be good for
> CentOS project recognition to use the same artistic motif in all
> visual manifestations it is made of (e.g., installer,
> desktop-backgrounds, indexhtml, web pages, posters, stands, cards,
> everywhere). So, their visual relation can be retained as we
> interact with them. In that sake, each major release should have
> one unique visual style (artistic motif), so no visual confusion
> can exist between major releases.
>
> There seems to be a proportional relation between the number of
> visual components we use to connect visual manifestations and the
> recognition strength they provide (e.g., if we use more visual
> components to connect visual manifestations, we achieve more
> recognition in them).

My only input here is that I *love* the idea of a unified experience
for users, across the entire Project's interfaces, and then uniquely
identifiable within a specific major release.

For example, documentation for CentOS 6 would appear visually
different from that of C5 and C7. Yet all tie back to an overall
aesthetic.

By contrast, in Fedora the release name has been used by the Design
Team to trigger a visual look - e.g. the Goddard release had a rocket
theme for desktop background, while the Beefy Miracle release had an
entire experience that included visuals, content (terribly punny jokes
about "relishing this release", etc. referring back to the hot dog
theme), release collateral[1], and so forth. There is an overall
project aesthetic, but each release comes so fast that the per-release
themes are not tied to each other.

Since CentOS has a major release on a much longer schedule, we can
(eventually) put more time in to creating a unified experience.

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41