[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Carl Trieloff

cctrieloff at redhat.com
Sat Jun 7 13:40:26 UTC 2014

On 06/07/2014 06:56 AM, Tim Bell wrote:
> A few quick thoughts....
>
> 1. Does the SIG need a naming convention also, e.g.
>
> CentOS-7.1407-Cloud-140805
>
> i.e. the cloud SIG based build done on 5th August 2014 based off the CentOS 7 tree in July 2014.
>
> 2. The minor release number is not in the naming convention. Is this a question of length ?
>
> CentOS-7.0-1407
>
> I am thinking as we get to beta releases of 7.1, having a mechanism to name the beta releases independently of the production ones would be useful.

We have debated the SIG TAG, and then left if open for list debate as
there are a few options here.

Firstly, if a SIG can achieve everything it needs in terms of mounting
optional repo's and adding options to the installer non harming then
there is no need require a SIG tag. However if a SIG requires a release
that changes the kernel and wants to create an ISO for that then it
clearly requires the use of a SIG tag as we can't break core. The 3rd
case would be if a SIG release and does not affect the core ISO /
install, just in it's own repo, it may want to indicate to users it has
made a release.

We came up with a few ideas around these with various merits which I can
post a bit later to list. This aspect we should work through with the
SIGs on this list. We may want to try release a few SIGs before we fully
define the SIG TAG rules.

Carl.