[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:45:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> 0.  CentOS-6.1011
> 1.  CentOS-6.1105
> 2.  CentOS-6.1112
> 3.  CentOS-6.1206
> 4.  CentOS-6.1302
> 5.  CentOS-6.1311
>
> As you can see, the minor numbers also match in the list (6.3 matches
> 6.1206) ... it's very easy to see that there are 6, 7, 7,  8, and 9
> months between releases, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

After having read all the detailed explanations, I still do not see
good enough justifications / rationale for changing the release
naming.

The concept of 'supporting only the latest release' is quite simple
and easy to explain to users. I don't think the current proposal would
make it any easier. As Trevor said, we just say, "CentOS 6.4 is no
longer supported. Please update to 6.5". On the other hand,
"CentOS-6.1302 is no longer supported. Please update to CentOS-6.1311
because it is June of 2014 today" sounds a bit cumbersome.

My honest feelings...

Akemi