[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Peter

peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Mon Jun 9 21:05:04 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 05:21 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> Indeed. In some areas, we already are. That's what we want to turn
> around. This is the fundamental reason why we can't simply rest and keep
> doing what we've been doing. Even if we're flawless in the core mission,
> we'd still be ignoring emerging areas where we must grow to survive.

I don't think I've seen anyone argue against SIGs here.  I think most
people on this list understand the importance of SIGs to CentOS and the
future that CentOS will have with them.  What I see is many people here
saying that SIGs should not dictate the direction of the core OS, that
needs to remain pure to upstream.

> In my view it's three separate perceptions that we have to fight.
> 1. Sins of the past. We historically haven't been great at working
> publicly or with community input, as you mentioned in the beginning.
>
> - In my eyes this amounts to broken trust, and it's difficult to fix.
> This why we stood up seven.centos, and why we've tried to be as public
> as possible about what we're doing around the 7 build. It's why we've
> started holding our meetings in #centos-devel on irc as much as
> possible. We simply won't make everyone happy, but we can certainly be
> more transparent and open about how we operate.

Well in reading through this thread it seems to me that the community is
overwhelmingly *against* this change.  In fact the only people who I
have seen argue for it are the core devs.  If you want to be more open
to the community then that's a two way street, you need to not only be
more transparent, but also be more willing to listen to the feedback you
get from the community.  You speak of mending "broken trust" and to fail
to listen to such overwhelming feedback from the community would be
counterproductive to that effort.

> To that end, help us discuss an appropriate solution for this.

Please (re-)state the actual problem we're trying to solve here.  As
others have pointed out, this seems to have been glanced over in the
push to present this "solution".

Peter