[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 9 22:38:02 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 10:47 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>> For lazy users who refuse to read or learn... I have very strong, and
>> very negative opinions of those sorts of people. They leave disaster in
>> their wake no matter what distro they run.
>>
> [...]
>> I want to see CentOS grow in usage and become much more widely adopted.
>> That can't happen by ONLY doing the same things we've done for the last
>> decade.
>>
> I think for the latter statement to happen, you may need to embrace
> users who want things to work as installed - to a certain extent
> anyway.  If distros like SMEserver and ClearOS (where the common
> services work out of the box with task-oriented web administration)
> turn into SIGs, it may help.  Likewise for any other special-purpose
> respins that reduce the setup work and knowledge needed to get a
> working configuration.    The base OS as a toolbox is great for people
> who want to build something new, but not so much for those who just
> want to run some already-included services without caring a lot about
> the implementation details.

And if we do that, it will be in a SIG ... the SIG can create a LDAP/SMB
active directory server pre-configured that has working postfix and DNS,
etc.

That would be radically changed from the Core OS ... so people would
have to opt in to either get that repo or that variant (depending on how
it is packaged).

But we change do that at all if we don't allow a mechanism for that
change to happen to things outside the Core OS.