[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Thu Jun 12 12:16:02 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 12:38 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'd really like to have something where a user, on login to the vm or
> machine instance is told 'you have XX pending updates'. the data can
> come from a yum-plugin writing something somewhere ( so its not a case
> of running yum on each login ).
>
> Who wants to take a stab at writing something for this ?
>
> - KB

For CentOS 6 there are gpk-update-viewer and gpk-update-icon commands.

gpk-update-icon is for noticication there is something to update (orange
8-point star), that command can be added to Startup Applications, and
gpk-update-viewer is what you get when you click on the star.

have you had something else on the mind? Or for CentOS 7 perhaps?

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)