[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:46:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

>> if a yum-plugin is able to drop the number somewhere, an echo in .skel
>> would be all the 'UI' we need, and if its there for the default user on
>> instance bringup, the skel should get copied over ( and then the user
>> can do whatever they please ) to all new users as well.
>

> So a cron job which does a
>
> yum list updates | awk 'BEGIN{x=0}; {if ($NF~'update') {x=x+1}}; END{print
> "Your system is behind  " x " updates."}' > /etc/centos-updates
> Your system is behind  37 updates.
>
> with it all being in python or something. Then in .bashrc a bit of 'if tty
> && SEENALREADY then cat /etc/centos-updates; SEENALREADY=1; fi' type logic

a) shouldn't this have a concept of security-related vs other updates?
b) maybe use .bash_profile vs. .bashrc?
c) should it handle multiple users and notify each once?
c) isn't there something gnome-ish that already does this with a gui?
Can the non-gui version share the check and pending value?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com