[CentOS-devel] Branding and change requests : workflow

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 17 13:54:02 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 02:46 PM, Elias Persson wrote:
> On 2014-06-17 13:45, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> $ git clone https://git.centos.org/git/centos-git-common.git
>> $ git clone https://git.centos.org/git/rpms/httpd.git
>> $ cd httpd
>> $ git branch -a
>
> Why would listing branches be necessary?

mostly as a FYI, some repos dont have a c7 tree, ofcourse people are
likely not trying to submit patches for those either...

>> $ git checkout c7
>
> <snip>
>
>> $ git rev-parse HEAD > `whoami`.start-point
> <snip>
>> $ git format-patch $(cat `whoami`.start-point)
>>

> These could be replace with `git format-patch origin/c7`
> (or `git format-patch "@{upstream}"`).

if that is where one starts from, internally we pass git repos around so
we dont always need to start from HEAD. I would assume that as people
get friendlier with this, they will just git branch my-branch etc and
not do edits in the c7/ branch ( given that they cant push back to c7
anyway ).

please, submit patches that make this process easier as a
getting-started guide.

--
Karanbir Singh