[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 "nightly builds" and Live Media iso images

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 17 14:24:42 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 08:55 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 02:10 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> On 06/16/2014 08:25 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>>> As Karanbir announced it today, there will be "nightly builds" happening
>>> every day, starting from today (the first one being scheduled to start
>>> at 8PM UTC).
>>> The whole process will be automated and would also start to reflect
>>> those new trees.
>>> That means that the url to enter for new network install, and yum
>>> repositories will need to be using the 'latest' symlink when that one
>>> will appear. (Normally full URL would be
>>> http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64-latest)
>> It would be nice to have "-latest" URL ready for announcement purposes,
>> so others know it will exist.
>>

> latest is something we want to do - its been spokean about as well, but
> remember we are replacing rpms without a bump in Epoc:Version-Release,
> so there is no way for yum etc to know that something has changed under it.
>
> hence, the only real testing path is to reinstall and re-evaluate newer
> releases.
>
> - KB

I want to point out here for those who think this might look chaotic ...
this process is very similar to what we have done only with our private
QA team in the past.

We would do these temporary tree pushes, etc. to the QA team and they
would test, find issues, post the issues to bugs or the QA mailing list
and we would fix.  We have opened this up totally to the public to make
the test group larger and hopefully find and fix issues faster, etc.

However, the packages released here are going to do things LIKE ... be
replaced with different builds that are newer with exactly the same EVR
strings, etc.  We may do other crazy things too.

The bottom line is that these packages should ABSOLUTELY NOT be used on
anything that is even slightly important .. although, you may be able to
point to a newer repo and do something like "yum distro-sync full" to
get all the new packages.

That said, be careful with these packages and don't keep/use them except
for this testing.  Once we get a stabilized tree and that is released,
then we can use that for real production things :)