[CentOS-devel] Introducing Centpkg (Comments requested)

Brian Stinson

bstinson at ksu.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:59:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 02:36:28PM -0400, Mike McLean wrote:
> Technical comments: 1) Not sure if we need all those directory rpmdefines. One
> of the nice things about the CentOS layout is that you can just --define
> "_topdir $PWD" and the rest of the dirs just fall into place.
>
> 2) I'm not sure about dead.package check in load_spec. We can't formally
> adopted that indicator, and if we do, we would probably not put the
> dead.package file in the SPECS dir. Probably either drop the check entirely,
> or move it out in front of the loop and check for it in the top directory.
>
> 3) Splitting in the metadata. I wonder if we shouldn't just use the default
> whitespace split .split(None, 1) instead of splitting specifically on a single
> space. It's a little more forgiving if someone tries to manually edit a
> metadata file. Also removes the need for stripping.

Thanks for the insight! My package building experience has all been outside the
distribution, so I'm looking forward to learning the "CentOS Core way". I will
make these changes tonight

> 4) NotImplemented. You have a number of overrides that raise
> NotImplementedError. I think perhaps some of these (the non-koji ones)
> would "just work" if we did not override them (or maybe I'm being overly
> optimistic).

I'm sure most of them will probably work. I was using NotImplementedError as a
signifier for checking the behavior of each method one-by-one. My thinking was
to remove the definitions for the ones we can use from upstream and redefine the
ones that need tweaking.

Cheers!
Brian

--