[CentOS-devel] RDO on CentOS

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 23:35:51 UTC 2014

On 17 June 2014 12:41, Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:

> [...]

anymore is due to three factors:

1) You really can't parallel y install it unless you do it via software
collections
2) Updates to it aren't guaranteed to be  without headache (command come,
commands go, etc)
3) Lifetimes of the stack are shorter and aren't supportable after they get
replaced.

That is pretty much the nature of any large framework from Ruby on Rails to
OpenStack in that they are in many ways an OS inside of an OS and need to
be treated that way. EPEL is meant to be tools for the outer OS and wasn't
designed to be for the Inner OS. This is neither a problem with the
frameworks or EPEL, they are just completely different mindsets and problem
cases.

This is where one repo to rule them all breaks down :). Maybe a federated
repository system might but it would take a lot of co-ordination that EPEL
people haven;'t had time for in the past.

I think that the OpenStack easier on CentOS side is to be covered by the
CentOS cloud SIG?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.