[CentOS-devel] /etc/redhat-release

Miroslav Suchý

msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 13:15:21 UTC 2014

On 06/19/2014 12:38 PM, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Features that are introduced by systemd can't be assumed as present except on those (recent) Linux OS versions which are
> using systemd, and can almost be assumed absent outside the Linux world (such as Solaris, BSD, Win/Mac). A few

Well parsing /etc/redhat-release works only on RHEL/Fedora. /etc/os-release is little better, although I admit id did
not work on Windows :)

> non-systemd Linux distros do ship /etc/os-release, especially those distro preparing to adopt systemd like Debian and
> Ubuntu - but even there only in recent or unreleased versions

Not completely true. It is present in Debian for 2 years - long time before considering systemd. And it is present in
Debian stable already:

Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS