[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Trevor Hemsley

trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 20 11:25:50 UTC 2014

On 20/06/14 12:15, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> You think it is much easier to explain a data breach costing your client
> in the field millions dollars because someone THOUGHT they had 7.1 EUS
> and all its security updates, just like RHEL has, when the tree is at
> 7.3?  We need to prevent people from thinking is OK to stay on an old
> tree, it absolutely is not.
The people who don't stay up to date are the ones who have never heard
of EUS and wouldn't know what it was if it bit them. They don't stay up
to date because they don't even know they should and adding an
incomprehensible date format to the release number won't make them do so
either. The addition of the motd telling you how many updates are
pending would do far more to address this than a random change to
something that doesn't need changing.

It just adds confusion to the mix.