[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Jun 20 11:50:37 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 02:43 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/20/2014 12:23 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> adding mere digits to the name will not help in any way. as far as I
>> have seen in #centos, most of those who do not update stay at a
>> particular version in time because they do do not WANT to update not
>> because they are not familiar with the concept or the need to update.
>> "it works as it is, we are afrain that an update might break something".
>> what most are not familiar with are unchanged ABI and backports. But
>> changing the naming scheme will not help with that in any way.
> but focusing on the /7/ would be .. also, lots of people drop into
> #centos running 6.2 or 5.6 because they were not aware that they were
> too far adrift. Switching the focus to CentOS-7 cant possibly cause more
> confusion.

I\indeed, switching the focus to CentOS-7 cant cause more confusion.
Switching to "you should update to centos 7-20140620 because you have
7-20140501 " would. As i have already said earlier, those who do not
update stay at a particular version in time because they do do not WANT
to update not because they are not familiar with the concept or the need
to update. Or maybe, as trevor put it, they do not know that they should
update. In both cases the time field will be as useless as the minor
release field is now so no benefit would be added.