[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 20 13:33:31 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 07:34 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 20/06/14 11:35, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 06/18/2014 06:02 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> With the release of CentOS 7 just around the corner, have the board
>>> members made a decision?
>> No we havent, its something we've been iterating over but there is no
>> decision made at this point.
>>
>>> We have seen an overwhelming number of responses from the community
>>> members. Many of them are long time contributors who do not mind
>>> "having late-night
>>> coffee-fueled work sessions after the family's gone to bed".
>>>
>>> Now the world is watching (between the FIFA games) how the board would
>>> handle the situation in which their idea/plan does not get support
>>> from the community.
>> So, personally - I think the community feedback was great, how badly we
>> communcated the idea was apareny and clear for everyone to see. And I
>> personally feel that a large chunk of the response was down to fear of
>> change in areas that we had never even imaged were going to change.
>>
>> I'm also assuming that my last email to this thread cleared all the
>> technical issues that people had brought up, if there are still some
>> outstanding now is a great time for people to raise those.
>>
> No, not really. I've yet to see any technical issue described that this
> proposed change would fix, that couldn't be fixed just as easily outside
> of the release numbering name space.
>
>> So what it really boils down to is communication, and not technical
>> reasons as to why there is resistance to this change. And if we are able
>> to find a clear / clean way to communicate the relationship - something
>> that the community at large agree's to, then we have a plan going forward.
>>
> Well yes, it is a communication issue really. The board expressed a
> desire to change the release numbering system and the community
> categorically rejected that proposal. The communication issue seems to
> be that the board still aren't listening to the community but continue
> trying to persuade the community that this is a good idea.
>
>> I seem to be saying this a lot, but getting better at what we do should
>> never really be optional - and I definitely feel that the numbering
>> change allows us to do just that. We just need to find a way to to
>> communicate and overcome the emotional resitance to change. CentOS Linux
>> is going to always retain RHEL mapping for 1:1 rebuild, as a best effort
>> - and now more open and more visible than before. Now, reparse the
>> thread with that statement in mind and you will find that the biggest
>> resistance goes away completely.
>>
> Ford make cars, not push bikes. Ford decide it would be a good idea to
> make slimmer thinner cars for narrower streets despite the fact that
> their core market has nice wide roads. Then ford decide to make a 3
> wheeled car, as the forth wheel really is unnecessary and thus just
> wasteful. In the interests of environmental improvements Ford decide it
> [...]

So let me see if I have got this straight.

I have been working 100 hour weeks for 10 years to help create and
maintain a Linux distribution which people can use for free.  Many huge
companies like Twitter and Facebook and GoDaddy used it to build
multi-million dollar companies and it is the 3rd most used operating
system on the Internet.  The vast majority of that time was voluntary.

I finally get the opportunity to actually work on the project full time
to make it better and somehow I am purposely recommending something that
would somehow sabotage it? How does that make any sense at all?

Have we ever done anything with CentOS that was not in the best interest
of the community?  We may not have always had the resources that we
wanted or been able to do things as fast as we would like, but we have
always tried hard and done the best we could do.

And a secondary point ... YOU are telling me that I have somehow done
something that "breaks what little trust you have" (the "you" meaning
the CentOS project, I suspect).

If you have so little trust in ME at this point, I don't know what to
think.  I have dedicated a vast majority of my adult life on this
project and there is absolutely nothing in the world but my family that
means more to me than CentOS does and for you to suggest that I (or we)
have some alterer motives to somehow sabotage CentOS is absolutely
breathtaking.