[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Carl Trieloff

cctrieloff at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 15:19:33 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 09:52 AM, Alessandro Ren wrote:
> I dont think anyone lacks confidence in your work or in CentOS and everybody appreciate the time you've dedicated to the project.
>    I my self have not yet clearly understood the real idea behind the new versioning system and I really dont know why the classic model would not work.
>    I think the main success of the project is being closely related to RHE.
>    My main concern is the risk of not keeping with the last security updates or not seeing them as clearly due to the new versioning.

I believe once we have been able to produce the two images for people to
play with as Karanbir suggests that the above concern will be clearly
and practically addressed. The goal is to not only to continue to
deliver to existing users, but grow that base in addition to become
relevant in new areas as we have started to show traction with CentOS in
OpenStack. With the SIG and closer association of RDO and CentOS for
example we have moved the User survey that Tim Bell runs 40 points from
what I can work out from Ubuntu our way. That's huge. This has to be
good for the project and the users and I believe we can do far more, how
about 1st in a future survey? Goal is the grow the project, our scope of
influence for the project, but NOT break things.

I'm pretty sure once we have been able to create an example image >90%
of people will have 0 change in experience. Let's get next round of
comments after we have been able to play with it

Let's take ground and not break stuff.
Carl.