[CentOS-devel] [OT, partly]epel question

Jim Perrin

jperrin at centos.org
Sat Jun 21 02:30:09 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 08:37 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I've installed MATE desktop (and related packages) from epel on my C7 VM,
> just to see how it works on C7.
>
> The answer I've got is "not too well", but I fear I may have done something
> wrong.
>
> Before I go any further, is it not toally unreasonable to ask this here? or
> should I be banished to redhat bugzilla?

It's not really a 'centos-development' type question, so it's not really
on topic here. It would be more appropriate on the general mailing list.
It's something I'm reasonably close to though, so if you'd ask your
questions there, I'd be happy to try to help.

> I've got it to the point where when I log in I get top and bottom panels,
> and desktop wallpaper. But nothing is drawn in front of the wallpaper,
> and right-click context menu on the desktop doesn't do anything. Everything
> that I can access thru a panel icon, a panel menu, or a terminal seems
> to be working.

It was built in epel-devel against the beta I believe, which has a bit
of turn-over from the rc and the final code we're building against for
the open qa builds. It may be that it simply needs to cycle through the
build system again.

> I did log on epel IRC and talked with "wolfy" about it, but he didn't have
> any firm answers (several good suggestions, though).

If you can ask on the main mailing list, I'll try to help as best I can.
Worst case, it will give me something to point out to the MATE
maintainer for epel that won't vanish like irc logs.

--
Jim Perrin