[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Philip Mather

phil at philipmather.me.uk
Sat Jun 21 11:33:35 UTC 2014

> So in summary : I think we should continue to use CentOS-7/Final as the
> main distro that everyone runs, and use the 7.YYMM to indicate the isos
> set, with metadata inside the installed machine still reporting whatever
> rhel point release it originated or maps to. Everything that has
> happened in the past, stays intact - except the ISOS release is
> announced as '7 1406 - rebuilt from RHEL 7.0 sources'.

Fairly lost now, doesn't take much I'll grant but there we go.

In all the organisations I've ever worked at we've kept our own mirrors of
each X.Y directory/step and then at some places kept snapshots of those per
month by postfixing them in spacewalk with YYYYMM when cloning channels via
cron job.

Just referring to CentOS 5, 6 or 7 without the .Y is so vague as to be
meaningless in any technical or patching discussion.

--
Regards,
   Phil