[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Sat Jun 21 13:38:21 UTC 2014

On 06/21/2014 01:02 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 06/21/2014 05:32 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
>> On 21/06/14 02:37, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> On 06/20/2014 04:50 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> You are EXACTLY right ... it will not change anything about the distro
>>> at all .. EXCEPT be a better description of what CentOS is.  A point in
>>> time rebuild of the major branch.  It has the "major" and it has the
>>> "point in time".  It perfectly describes exactly what CentOS is.

>> So here we have the essence of the issue, clearly described.
>>
>> It may be "a better description of what CentOS is" but it's also is a
>> step further removed from RHEL. It's making a change that isn't a direct
>> consequence of legal or trademark issues.
>>
>> So there is no technical issue to solve or overcome, in the core distro.
>> It's a rebranding exercise to overcome a perception people may or may
>> not have about point releases.
>>
>> As many others have said, I believe such a change does more damage than
>> good for all the reasons previously mentioned numerous times.
>
> But, CentOS started out with different numbering that Red Hat.  They
> were doing 3 update 3 and not 3.3.  They usually  abbreviated it 3u3 and
> not 3.3.  We were different because we did not necessarily want to
> convey we did everything, only that we were similar at that one point in
> time.  Then Red Hat changed their numbering.  So CentOS and Red Hat did
> not always have the same numbering.
>
> CentOS still grew to become the most used Linux distribution in the
> world and Twitter, Facebook, GoDaddy, and any other number of companies
> still chose to use it for their needs.  It is in use in colleges all
> over the world.  In movie maker rendering farms.  The number did not
> have to be the same for those things to happen.  It does not have to be
> the same now either.  If CentOS was identical, over the lifetime of the
> product, then I would want it to be numbered the same.  But it is not
> the same, so why do we want the same number?
>
> Now I see confusion in the name that I would like to resolve, and at the
> release of a completely new main branch seems the perfect time to do
> it.  So everyone thinks that 7.1406 better describes what a CentOS
> release really is, but they don't want to do it.  Interesting.

Johnny, I have more vivid imagination then most people. I can think of
all different possible outcomes. That helps me to do what I do best,
find best solutions to the problem at hand, even if people with the
problem do not see it.

So that story telling I wrote had a purpose. That is most far fetched
story I could muster, but it is also what many in Linux community will
be thinking. It does not matter what you guys really think or do, but it
matters what will PEOPLE think. And you can not control what they will
think, no matter how hard you try.

When you guys were hired by Rad Hat, I saw it as a good thing for you
and your dedication. BUT, that does not mean you could not be
manipulated into some things. Setting someones mind in the desired
direction is not that hard as people think. So this not my vote of
non-confidence, just show of confusion you are producing in CentOS
community. It is better your board to be confronted with this possible
scenario now then after "s**t hits the fan".

First of all, ALL of the blogs refer to RHEL minor versions as 5.10,
6.5, 7.0, etc. It is easier to think in those terms, to "normalize the
situation". All Linux distributions use this versioning schemes. Maybe
you even were "godfathers" to that unofficial naming, but it stuck with
public. I will say it again, RHEL! minor version are referred to as 6.5,
not 6u5 by almost all non-Red Hat people in Linux Community. It's like
carved in stone. There is no way anyone will start calling it 6u5.

Same goes to a link between CentOS and RHEL minor versions. CentOS 6.5 =
RHEL 6.5 (with very small changes that can not be avoided). Also carved
in stone. It will not change in 20 years, maybe never is everything
stays the same. And everyone like it that way.

So changing versioning scheme will brake that bond between RHEL and
CentOS as it's CLONE! Something people are COUNTING on. many do not have
money for RHEL, but want it's stability and want to use apps that work
on RHEL. So they are counting on that unbreakable bond, link, they like
the idea of CentOS being 99% clone of RHEL.

As soon as you change versioning scheme, that bond in peoples minds
would be broken, and almost-all would see it as just another RHEL
lookalike, but not CLONE, just like SuSE and OpenSuSE. If before RHEL ->
CentOS relation was close to MS-DOS Original -> Pirated MS-DOS, after
change it would be more like MS-DOS -> PC-DOS, similar, claimed to do
what ever exactly the same, BUT, in peoples minds there will be doubt
wedged between RHEL and CentOS. Even I would FEEL so, no matter how my
mind would try to convince me.

The main problem in perception is that you do not want to change
anything else. THAT is part that is evoking emotional response into
thinking there is something else behind it.

Example (dates are arbitrary):
7.0 -> 7.20140621
7.1 -> 7.20140910

When 7.20140910 comes out, system of updates will be the same.
7.20140621 branch will go into vault, rpms from updates repo will be
merged to 7.20140910 and "yum update" will update system to 7.20140910 +
latest updates. If some image needs to stay on 7.20140621, it will NOT
be able to, update will move it along to next minor version. So nothing
is gained.

If you were, prior to 7.20140910, to release 7.20140909, which would be
7.20140621 + all the updates to that point all in one repository (Fedora
Everything?), then versioning change would have some purpose.
But on the other hand, if you want to create base+updates snapshots in
time, I would prefer if we would keep 7.0, 7.1 versioning for normal
usage, and then create such snapshots 7.20140909 with accompanying
repositories which would be filled with only security fixes?

Keep in mind that most of "old" users (using only single/unrelated
server(s)/desktop(s)) want to keep everything the same, that is what we
"signed on" by choosing CentOS.

Cloud images, SiG's, that is what interests only/mostly "new" users with
much higher technical knowledge. High enough to know how to keep their
systems the way they want them.

Any change to another direction then it was so far should be ADDITION to
existing practice, not something to turn things upside down and chase
away old users.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)