[CentOS-devel] [OT, partly]epel question

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jun 21 21:45:11 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 05:38:35PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:30:09PM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> >

> > On 06/20/2014 08:37 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> > > I've installed MATE desktop (and related packages) from epel on my C7 VM,
> > > just to see how it works on C7.
> > >
> > > The answer I've got is "not too well", but I fear I may have done something
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > Before I go any further, is it not toally unreasonable to ask this here? or
> > > should I be banished to redhat bugzilla?
> >
> > It's not really a 'centos-development' type question, so it's not really
> > on topic here. It would be more appropriate on the general mailing list.
> > It's something I'm reasonably close to though, so if you'd ask your
> > questions there, I'd be happy to try to help.
>
> thanks Jim. You mean the Centos list, or epel list?
>

> > > I've got it to the point where when I log in I get top and bottom panels,
> > > and desktop wallpaper. But nothing is drawn in front of the wallpaper,
> > > and right-click context menu on the desktop doesn't do anything. Everything
> > > that I can access thru a panel icon, a panel menu, or a terminal seems
> > > to be working.
> >
> > It was built in epel-devel against the beta I believe, which has a bit
> > of turn-over from the rc and the final code we're building against for
> > the open qa builds. It may be that it simply needs to cycle through the
> > build system again.
> >

> > > I did log on epel IRC and talked with "wolfy" about it, but he didn't have
> > > any firm answers (several good suggestions, though).
> > >

> > If you can ask on the main mailing list, I'll try to help as best I can.
> > Worst case, it will give me something to point out to the MATE
> > maintainer for epel that won't vanish like irc logs.

OK, here on the general Centos list, I have one more thing to add to the
above:

I was chatting on the epel list about it, didn't get a lot of help (no
reflection on those there) but smooge said he might have time to look into
it next week.

Also, someone else from the centos list sent private email that he had
had the same problem and thought it might be a caja problem, but had not
gone any further than that.

So, I opened a terminal and started caja. Voila! not only did a caja
window open, but the desktop icons appeared, and the right-click menu.
however when I closed the terminal it all went away. :(

so I did ALT-F2 and typed in "caja", hit enter, and there's the full
desktop again. and this time it stayed.

from these symptoms I don't think I can tell if it's a caja problem, or an
issue with whoever starts up caja after login (something in systemd ???)

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?