[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jun 23 13:55:52 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 03:20 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
Much stuff snipped.  My reply is to one basic point:
> We users of old CentOS 1.0 liked our independence from Red Hat, were
> more the Fedora, we were independent. ...

Any 'independence' of Red Hat was at best an illusion.  Who did all the
work to get updates, security and other types, into the various source
packages in the first place?  Who set up the infrastructure and went a
step beyond what GPL requires to release source to the public?  Who paid
the developers to make the fixes that the source code has?

With all due respect to the CentOS team, rebuilding is a far easier job
than developing the distribution in the first place.  This is not a slam
against the CentOS team, by any means, but a recognition of just how
much of Red Hat's work is and has always been in CentOS.  There never
was any independence from Red Hat in reality, since we have always been
totally dependent upon Red Hat for the source.  If Red Hat had ceased to
exist, all of the RHEL rebuilds would probably either cease to exist or
would have been drastically crippled, as it takes a lot of developers to
keep up with all of the various fixes that are being made.