[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

R P Herrold

herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Jun 23 18:56:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The GPL requires that anyone who receives sources has the
> right to redistribute them freely, although Red Hat seems to
> think they can restrict this right if they do it by tying
> the restriction to the support contract.

I am aware of no such formal statement to specific that effect
by Red Hat -- URL please?

About all I know are that there have been lots of speculation
and inference by non-lawyers, which rarely ends well or with a
result a lawyer might consider 'accurate' [1]

Trademark law is equally full of traps for geeks (and others)
thinking that 'the law' is a well-formed logic engine, or
state machine.  At Michigan Law, I met and had a course with
professor [Layman Allen] with 'game': 'WFF and Proof' [2] ...
as noted a trainer in formal symbolic logic.  Now Emeritus, it
seems [3]

I find that 'the law' is not like that at all. It is more like
a twisty cow-path, stomped out through lots of individual
cases, which make up its life history [4] [5].  There was an
interstical stained glass window with that quote at U Mich's
Law School, but I cannot lay hands on an on-line photo of it

If you want legal advice, go buy legal advice.  If you want
Red Hat's view of binaries and Source matter, go buy access to
it. You may wish to have your lawyer review the EULA first

M Go Blue

- -- Russ herrold

- ---------------start disclaimer-------------------

I_A_AL, but not your lawyer.  I offer legal advice and formal
opinion only within the confines of a previously  established
and explicit attorney-client relationship where privilege may
be had;  and NEVER on a public list server.

- ----------------end disclaimers ------------------

[1] http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/03/promoting-ignorance.html
[2] https://www.oercommons.org/authoring/1364-basic-wff-n-proof-a-teaching-guide/view
[3] http://www.law.umich.edu/FacultyBio/Pages/FacultyBio.aspx?FacID=laymanal
[4] http://www.michiganstainedglass.org/month/month.php?month=12&year=2007
[5] http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1753389

Abstract:
Lawyers from Justice Holmes’s day until today rally around the
banner of his most famous quote, “The life of the law has not
been logic: it has been experience.” Supposedly, this phrase
reminds judges and other lawmakers never to let the law lose
touch with the needs of ordinary people. In historical
context, however, “the life of the law” says nothing about how
judges should decide cases. Rather, it expresses Holmes’s view
about how common law judges actually decide cases. More
specifically, Holmes’s “experience” refers to judges’ mostly
subconscious intuition, while “logic” refers to a vain attempt
to systematize intuitively developed law. Proper understanding
of Holmes’s famous quote, revealed through this Article’s
historical analysis, helps to avoid an unfortunately common
analytical distortion, and one which tends to stultify the law
- - what Holmes called “the danger of inventing reasons offhand
for whatever we find established in the law.”

Pull quote to pay attention to is: