[CentOS-devel] CentOS-7 Public QA Buildtag 140617

Scott Dowdle

dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 25 23:20:39 UTC 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> OK, it's no big deal to reinstall, it's just a VM, created for the
> purpose of beating on C7.

The RHEL 7 install media has the initial kernel release and they have released two updates since then.  The second one just came out today.  Anyway, I was mistakenly under the impression that the first CentOS build was based on the first update... and that they had refreshed with the install media kernel... but indeed both the original and the current are the same version (as KS pointed out) which makes it virtually impossible to replace it.

I tried some dangerous package manager manipulations like the following:

yumdownloader kernel ; rpm -e --justdb --nodeps kernel ; rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm ; grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; systemctl reboot

It came back up just fine... but "yum clean all ; yum distro-sync full" still complained about it.  Not sure why but yeah, do a reinstall. :)

Or you could wait until an updated kernel package comes out and upgrade to it... but that'd probably be after GA and at that point you'd want the REAL GA release anyway.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street