[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 Public QA: CentOSPlus kernel available for testing

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:20:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Anssi Johansson <centos at miuku.net> wrote:
> 25.6.2014 23.24, Akemi Yagi kirjoitti:
>> The first version of the centosplus kernel for 7 is now available for
>> testing. The kernel version is 3.10.0-123.el7 (GA kernel).  You can
>> download it from:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Feedback greatly appreciated. Happy testing!
>
> I installed the plus kernel on:
> - VirtualBox VM running in BIOS mode
> - VirtualBox VM running in UEFI mode
> - Dell R320 running in UEFI mode
> - Acer Aspire XC-105 running in UEFI mode
>
> Some remarks:
> * Ajusting DEFAULTKERNEL in /etc/sysconfig/kernel to kernel-plus made
> the plus kernel as the default kernel, as expected
>
> * I saw a slightly confusing menu entry in grub.conf after installing
> the plus kernel:
>
> menuentry 'CentOS Linux (3.10.0-123.el7.centos.plus.x86_64) 7 (Broken)'
> --class centos --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted
> $menuentry_id_option
> 'gnulinux-3.10.0-123.1.2.el7.x86_64-advanced-2b358b21-34b5-492e-b296-af1d4fbdb5f6'
>
> Apparently the running kernel version affects how the menu entry is
> constructed. I was running 3.10.0-123.1.2 when I ran "yum install
> kernel-plus". The latter $menuentry_id_option doesn't seem to be visible
> anywhere, if you don't have a look at grub.conf by yourself.
>
> * "modprobe reiserfs" worked and it brought "reiserfs" to /proc/filesystems
>
> * The kernel-plus packages devel, abi-whitelists, doc, headers, tools,
> tools-libs, tools-libs-devel, perf, python-perf were installable,
> although kernel-plus-tools(-libs) and kernel-tools(-libs) can't coexist
> on the same box, and the non-plus tools packages had to be removed
> first. This is reportedly intentional.
>
> * Removing the plus kernel worked, but I got a warning about missing
> files for modules.softdep and modules.devname. This message is
> reportedly harmless and can be ignored.
>
> * Acer supports UEFI secure boot, and the plus kernel booted with it
> enabled. However, the system was running in 'Setup' mode, so it's
> possible that secure boot was not really 'fully enabled' at that stage.
>
> * The menu entries in grub look a bit different as compared to the stock
> kernels:
>
> CentOS Linux (3.1.0-123.el7.centos.plus.x86_64) 7 (Broken)
> CentOS Linux, with Linux 3.10.0-123.1.2.el7.x86_64
> CentOS Linux, with Linux 0-rescue-...

Thank you for performing such extensive testing. Glad to learn there
was no big surprise.

The "missing modules.softdep and modules.devname" warnings happen with
the distro kernel as well. I tried to find out where this comes from
but have not been successful.

Could you check to see if there are any "residuals" in /lib/modules
after the plus kernel has been uninstalled? Also in /boot ?

Akemi