[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 27 18:20:38 UTC 2014

On 06/26/2014 05:08 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 06/26/2014 11:53 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>>> Although you are right for people with fast internet, there are still
>>> thousands of people in undeveloped countries that have pay-by-MB
>>> internet, some even only dial-up lines.
>>>
>>> So I suggest those CD ISO's to be built, no need to build them in
>>> prime-time download frenzy, but they should exist, even if only on some
>>> mirrors or in vault (small bandwidth users can not clog the server).
>> They'd still need to download a bunch of CD images in order to be able
>> to do an install. And at this point they'd rather get the minimal.iso
>> and then use yum to add whatever they need. yum groupinstall <bunch of
>> desktop related groups> will not be more painful than downloading the isos.
>>
> I was more referring to CD1, mostly enough to install Desktop/Server and
> then update/add when they have internet connection.
>
> There was a fair number of people who would pay their "ISP" (in a broad
> sense of the word) or a friend/company, and then some have slow direct
> internet connection and others manually download rpm's and install them
> off-line.
>
> Imagine installing from minimal ISO and then wait hours on dialup to
> install.
>
> So paying for CD ISO (less money) to be able to install full desktop,
> and then using slow internet connection for the rest.

We will also have a the following:

1.  Minimal Install <something>  (the something depends on the size when
done, DVD or CD, depending on > or <  700MB)  - This will be defined as
matching a Minimal ISO from the DVD

2.  Network Install - the boot.iso from the images directory right now

3.  Micro Install - this will be a pared down version of the Minimal
Install if people want it

Any of those that end up less than 700 MB will be on a CD.

However, what we are talking about here is not a subset install, but the
full distro install.  And that is what we are talking about not also
producing and distributing.  It would likely be 10-15 CDs full of
stuff.  I don't see a need for that format.  Minimal, Network, maybe
Micro and 2-3 DVD's for full tree.