[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 VS Gnome 3

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 03:45:33 UTC 2014

On 03/07/2014 09:57 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Another issue is that Gnome3 needs 3D and does not work with x2go (and
> probably freenx/nx  if that is going to be packaged).   And I almost
> never work directly at a console.   KDE seems to mostly work, but it
> is annoying to have to switch after all these years of RedHat pushing
> GNOME.

To clear something up, IIRC 7 uses GNOME Classic - not stock GNOME 3 -
as its default, which does *not* require 3D.

In the default desktop, GNOME looks a lot like GNOME 2x.

This isn't to say we shouldn't package Mate or Xfce or any additional
desktops for CentOS - but it'd be good to make sure people are moving
away from the defaults as an informed choice.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst