[CentOS-devel] how minimal is a minimal too minimal

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:19:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

>>     I'd gladly trade that for an
>> easier way to do the initial network setup when you have multiple NICs
>> and no DHCP (like showing you the one(s) with link up).
>>
> well put desire. however ( PLEASE prove me wrong if I am mistaken )
> anaconda only knows something along
>
>         network --bootproto=static --ip=a.b.c.n --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=a.b.c.1 --nameserver=a.b.c.2 --device=$DEVICENAME
>
>   So ( wild guess here... ) you'd need a bit of intelligence in the
> %pre/%post sections of a kickstart to detect which interface is up and
> feed that info to anaconda

Actually that is the part that is normally interactively.  That is,
the people who handle the hardware and networking are doing the
'hands-on' part.  They can fill in a form with the right values but
they don't work with linux much and don't have much to go on as to
which NIC gets which name.  It is painful to figure that out for
multiple connected NICs even if you know what you are doing.  I
usually end up doing something like 'ip link ls' to get the interface
names, iterate over them with 'ifconfig up' so that iterating over
them with 'ethtool' will show whether link is detected.   And then
maybe tcpdump to see what subnet addresses are going by...   But the
'hands on' guy has to get at least one interface configured correctly
without help.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com