[CentOS-devel] Storage SIG Moving Forward

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 18:27:11 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 08:35 AM, Patrick McGarry wrote:
> Our current plan is to just keep it simple w/ a Google Hangout (not
> on-air) so if we grow beyond 10 we'll need to know beforehand.

While I love me some video conferencing, I just wanted to provide the
warnings and caveats.

Similar to the idea of keeping discussions on centos-devel for now,
having meetings on a low-barrier medium such as IRC has many benefits
that continue to outweigh the downsides.[0]

I totally get the value of seeing each other in meeting, but it's not
a great way to keep the community involved. (Video has high bandwidth
requirements, is hard to translate, harder to understand speakers esp.
if not a native English speaker, etc.) I'll be advocating at the Board
level that we at least include IRC-only meetings as part of our open
public meeting roadmap.

Could it work to have an initial "social meetup" to get to know each
other a bit via video, then have the real discussion/decision work on IRC?

If we're feeling like #centos-devel is too crowded or this is OT, we
can use a #centos-meeting channel. Regardless, using centbot is a key

I'd be happy to attend the meeting if I can and help facilitate the
IRC usage and meetbot, if that helps. I know other CentOS folks have
meetbot and IRC-meeting-moderator experience as well.

- - Karsten

[0] Long version of this topic ...

The trick about the open source way and radical transparency is that
it is a PITA. You have to drop a bit of convenience of the 'doers' in
order to keep things highly visible to the 'watchers', partly so some
of them can and desire to become doers.

Open discussion before decisions done in a low-barrier medium
(text-based, asynchronous) is also key to getting understanding and
buy-in from everyone. The reasoning behind each decision is in the
public record, so it's easier for people to understand a design
decision during and after it's decided.

> http://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/Stuff_everyone_knows_and_forgets_anyway#Take_even_more_care_to_do_all_design_decisions_in_the_open

defaulting to open means that the work to be transparent is
built-in to what you are doing already, e.g. using meetbot, so you get
all the artifacts and don't have to spend time later explaining
over-and-over a decision made in a hallway by two people.)

- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41
Version: GnuPG v1