[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 VS Gnome 3

Paul W. Frields

pfrields at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 14:44:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:45:33PM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 03/07/2014 09:57 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Another issue is that Gnome3 needs 3D and does not work with x2go (and
> > probably freenx/nx  if that is going to be packaged).   And I almost
> > never work directly at a console.   KDE seems to mostly work, but it
> > is annoying to have to switch after all these years of RedHat pushing
> > GNOME.
>
> To clear something up, IIRC 7 uses GNOME Classic - not stock GNOME 3 -
> as its default, which does *not* require 3D.
>
> In the default desktop, GNOME looks a lot like GNOME 2x.
>
> This isn't to say we shouldn't package Mate or Xfce or any additional
> desktops for CentOS - but it'd be good to make sure people are moving
> away from the defaults as an informed choice.

GNOME Classic is a set of extensions on top of GNOME 3.  However, AIUI
GNOME 3 doesn't require 3D hardware because there is an llvmpipe
backend that will do software rendering on machines without capable
hardware.  Performance may be encumbered in that case with a slower
CPU, but should still work.

--
Paul