[CentOS-devel] CentOS Docker images

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Mar 19 11:49:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:39:05AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > This is the plan in Fedora, by the way, and I'm working with the Anaconda
> > team to make enhancements so there won't need to be as much trimming.
> > The latter part probably help you guys for a few years :) but it'd be nice
> > to be using the same basic approach.
> Sounds good, where can we track this effort ?

I'm writing a feature proposal for F21, which should be _part_ of tracking
it. I'm also working on getting our own tracking in a bit better shape...
someone in our SIG is setting up a Cantas (open source trello-alike) board
which I hope will help keep this organized better.

> Also, it would be good to sync and share with the Fedora cloud folks, my
> attempts at doing this in the past have mostly been met with cold
> sholder like responses.

I hope that wasn't me. I think it's mostly a lack of time, not actual
maliciousness. Speaking personally, I'm terrible at followups and apologize
in advance. :)

> > Could you tell me more about the train wreck here? I want to make sure we
> > don't recreate it. :)
> Nightly builds are good, as long as they are communicated as such and
> people understand that if they want to own the feature spec, they need
> to own their own infra to build, test and deploy based on those. For
> everyone else, setting a baseline in time does not seem to map very well
> to any app requirements. Reducing those to map to iso release points has
> been far more productive, and people have a better ( and easier,
> requiring far less communication to get across ) map of content and
> where things are.
> The question it boils down to is : why are we building these images,
> where do we anticipate them being used and for what purpose.

Makes sense. Thanks.