[CentOS-devel] how minimal is a minimal too minimal

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Mar 19 16:32:06 UTC 2014

Hi

Something that keeps coming up is how far can we minimalise an Instance
/ Image / Installer before we cant call it CentOS anymore. In the past,
what we have generally stuck with is:
- CentOS Shipped kernel
- Initscripts
- functional yum
- functional openssh-server
- atleast all of @base

however, in some cases, openssh-server might not be needed, and
initscripts has a fairly long dep tree, similarly making yum work needs
a few things. Can we get away with losing yum as an example and
replacing it with a script that says 'need yum? I can download and
install it for you' and have it hit mirror.centos.org for static yum and
yum dep urls ?

similarly, should nobase and nocore be acceptable ?

the aim being to setup a base image, that is under 150mb to download and
deploy.

--
Karanbir Singh