[CentOS-devel] how minimal is a minimal too minimal

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Mar 19 20:28:37 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 05:23 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> Let's trim the current minimal to what it once was and call it "micro"
> :) However I am not very keen into not including yum and
> openssh-{clients, server} unless we also provided a script which brings
> those easily for those needing them. And I suggest that because
> installing all yum deps via rpm is a bit tedious.

ok, we seem to have some tractino around the idea of a micro image, it
does not need to be installable, just delivered as an image file backed,
people can do whatever; in time we can even growroot inside it and have
it deployable to raw block devices.

scripting the stubs would be awesome. can we do this without actually
needing to trap the bin namespace ?

And we will need some level of server side capability ( so we dont need
to have hardwired yum rpm and its deps listed inside the image, yet have
someway to always have it usable, inspite of updates to these packages -
and therefore name changes )

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh