[CentOS-devel] Recompiling the Kernel for CentOS 6.5

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:03:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Saket Sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on CentOS 6.5 which has 2.6.32-431 kernel.
>
> I have a problem with my driver and I need to enable Kernel-Memory
> leak in the kernel for which I will have to recompile the kernel.
>
> I get the kernel source tree from the the source rpm for my running
> kernel from below link-
>
> http://vault.centos.org/6.5/updates/Source/SPackages/kernel-2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.src.rpm
>
>  and I try to build the kernel according to the below link on CentOS Wiki -
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/rhel-sag-en-3/s1-custom-kernel-modularized.html
>
> according to which it tells me , after make menuconfig( and
> customizing my configuration), I need to follow the following steps-
>
> 1.  make bzImage
> 2.  make modules
> 3.  make modules_install
> 4.  make install
>

> but I get errors in the first step only-(make bzImage)
>
> Kindly suggest me as to what I am doing wrong.

First off, for a question like this, it's best to use the CentOS main
list (not -devel) or the forums to get assistance.

Second, the doc link you showed is the one written for RHEL-3. The
correct wiki page to read is:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

Third, you can file a request at bugs.centos.org to enable the option
in the centosplus kernel. This way, you would do not have to recompile
your own kernel.

Hope this helps,

Akemi