[CentOS-devel] A project calendar

Pierre-Yves Chibon

pingou at pingoured.fr
Sat Mar 29 14:26:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 06:28:34PM +0100, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 28/03/14 13:31, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > There is quite a lot of stuff going on and not all of it is easily
> > visible to everyone. The way to perhaps address that is to setup a
> > project calendar that people can sync against and look at regularly. And
> > more win if we can have it slightly open ended, allowing people /
> > projects / sig's to contribute events into that cal.
> >
> > To that extent Stephen Smoogen introduced me to Pierre-Yves Chibon who
> > runs the fedocal effort, and they have graciously agreed to set
> > something up for CentOS as well. Stephen I know is on this list already,
> > I've requested Pierre to join ( he might have done so already ).
> >
> > Firstly looking for comments on the idea / plan - and then for options
> > on implemention, publishing and consumption of the calendar.
> >
> I really like the idea of having one place to look at and concatenating
> multiple calendars at once (and that gives the possibility to respective
> groups/SIGs to master their own calendars too).
> I didn't know Fedocal and had a quick look at the doc. I like the fact
> that iCal is supported, but only in read-only mode, so one has to use
> the WebUI to add event to the calendar(s) (or upload a ics).

My understanding is that iCal is always read-only. To get read/write you have to
move to caldav which is a complete other level of complexicity/breakability.

Once question though, does the CentOS infrastructure has an account system?
Currently Fedocal relies on FedOAuth which provides OpenID (and persona) and
combined with the openid-teams extension fedocal is able to manage
authorization.
FedOAuth [1] might be something interesting for CentOS, otherwise we can of
courss look at adapting fedocal to the current CentOS infrastructure.

[1] https://github.com/FedOAuth/FedOAuth

Best regards,
Pierre