[CentOS-devel] RFC: Alternative Desktop SIG

Fri Mar 14 22:44:29 UTC 2014
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 14 March 2014 14:49, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

> On 03/14/2014 12:26 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > I would like to put together an alternative desktop sig which will build,
> > qa, and support desktops which are not the Enterprise Linux primary or
> > secondary desktops (GNOME and KDE).
>
> Fantastic!
>
> > There are a couple of ground rules I would like to propose:
> >
> > 1) Any desktop system needs to have 3 sponsors who are people willing to
> do
> > the work of building RPMS, coordinating user bugs with upstream, and
> fixing
> > packages. The reason for 3 is
> >   a) that this SIG isn't a dumping ground for here is ABC-DE compiled,
> > goodbye.
> >   b) that disagreements between sponsors should be deadlock free.
> >   c) that when people take vacations, etc there is continuity of
> operation.
>

> How would this apply to something like EPEL, which in el6 has XFCE
> packaged. Would it be acceptable to pull that in, or would that simply
> count as 1 of the 3?

That was something that I figured would also need to be planned for. Where
do these packages live? Who is caring for them? My initial viewpoint is
that it would be nice if the people on a desktop were co-maintainers on the
package set if it were in EPEL. The main thing is to try and make sure that
stuff gets accidentally abandoned.

> > 2) Desktops do not keep to Enterprise lifetimes, but major version
> changes
> > to the desktop need to be announced, tested and released to a schedule.
> > Desktops which don't want to do that will not be part of the SIG. [A
> > schedule does not need to be super detailed, but just alleviate
> surprise.]
> > 3) Desktops can and will be removed from the SIG if there isn't an
> interest
> > in keeping them up. This is mainly to cover that if ABC-DE desktop no
> > longer has sponsors, other members of the SIG aren't obliged to support
> > ABC-DE if they don't want to.
>
> I would propose that anything being removed be treated as a major
> version change, with an announcement and warning for users.

Yes I agree on that. It is a major change and would need an announcement
and warning to users.