[CentOS-devel] how minimal is a minimal too minimal

Wed Mar 19 16:41:37 UTC 2014
Jeff Sheltren <jeff at tag1consulting.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> the aim being to setup a base image, that is under 150mb to download and
> deploy.

I think there are (at least) two different types of "minimal" that could
(and should) be provided.

1) "working server minimal" which would have at least yum and sshd --
this could be similar to what we do for minimal now, though I'm not
totally opposed to shrinking it down a bit more.

2) "really really minimal -- and we mean minimal!" -- where the goal is
to strip out as much as possible, no docs, no yum, no ssshd, etc.

I don't have a use for (2) personally, but use (1) -- or at least one of
my own making -- quite frequently.  I'd be happy if we could keep both.

-Jeff