[CentOS-devel] how minimal is a minimal too minimal

Wed Mar 19 17:18:45 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 05:10 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Related questions we struggle with in Fedora: what about i18n and docs? If
> no docs, docs at all, not even man pages?

no docs at all, our default minimal install does not put in 'man'
either. and no lang support other than EN

>> similarly, should nobase and nocore be acceptable ?
>> the aim being to setup a base image, that is under 150mb to download and
>> deploy.
>
> Why 150? Next round number down from 200? :)

the problem with tuning stuff is knowing when to stop for long enough to
release something, 150 is 50% of the present minimal installable,
bootable image, so a good target ( imho ) to hit. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that its possible to get a centos-6 kernel booting and sshd
running in a bit less than that ( with 'excess stuff' like syslog
removed.. ) Not sure if we want to go there.

--
Karanbir Singh