[CentOS-devel] cloud-init in CentOS

Sam Kottler s at shk.io
Mon May 5 17:24:17 UTC 2014

During the cloud instance SIG meeting today we talked about future plans
for cloud-init in CentOS. Right now cloud-init is included as part of
EPEL and that's where most CentOS users consume it from. The problem is
that cloud-init and related bits are critical for building images to run
on a public or private cloud, and we need to build early guest
initialization tools into the cloud images we produce. Ideally this does
not include adding EPEL or packages from EPEL which have not been
rebuilt in our build systems.

So, the proposal that there's general consensus upon within the SIG is
to maintain cloud-init, its dependencies, and any related packages on
git.centos.org and rebuild them ourselves. I'm one of the maintainers in
EPEL so I offered to maintain the git repos for CentOS, anyone else who
would like to be involved in more than welcome to step up.

Thoughts, questions, concerns?

-s