[CentOS-devel] The Branding Hunt. Ed. 7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu May 15 16:29:52 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 03:29 PM, Kay Williams wrote:
> Is there information somewhere on what has been done in the past, what
> worked well, what didn't, etc?
>
> Would be nice if changes could be centralized in some way so that folks
> wanting to make custom branded distros based on CentOS could leverage.

Well, the goal is to change the minimal amount of things possible to
meet both the requirements to redistribute the software (from the Red
Hat trademark perspective) ... and also to meet the intent of the
requirement.

Here is the document:

http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/corp/RH-3573_284204_TM_Gd.pdf

Specifically we are looking at page 5 under the heading, "Publishing and
Marketing Red Hat Linux or Red Hat Enterprise Linux Software That Has
Been Modified"

The exact rules are that "RedHat-Logos" and "Anaconda-Images" need to be
changed.  I have done this in a new centos-logos package that will be
provided for review on git.centos.org.  With that we meet the actual
requirement of the PDF.

But the intent is also that if something claims to be Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, we should change it.  Also, if the logo appears in things other
than documentation within the distro we should change it.

For example, if something says to submit a bug report to
bugzilla.redhat.com, we would want to instead say bugs.centos.org, so we
want to change this.

But, if something is there because of copyright or to designate credit
for work performed then we do not want to change it ... so, as an
example, the About section of a LibreOffice app says:  "This release was
supplied by Red Hat, Inc."  That is a true statement and does not need
to be changed .. if it said "Created for Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or
something similar, we would change the RPM to take that out.

The SRPMs that we currently change will either start with the name
centos, or have a .centos. in the name (the one exception being the
kernel package .. we change it and we do not change the name so 3rd
Party drivers supplied for booting the kernel will work with both the
Red Hat and CentOS kernels.

We also list the modified SRPMs in our release notes, so for the
CentOS-6.5 release here is the list:

http://bit.ly/1ljZd5I

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes