[CentOS-devel] Creating a CentOS-only package

Kay Williams kay at deployproject.org
Fri May 16 23:01:14 UTC 2014

I like the copr (Cool Other Package Repositories) direction, and agree with
Matt's comment that it would be great to see Fedora/CentOS collaboration in
this area.

The general points are that -

* users will occasionally have a need for newer versions of software than
are officially supported by redhat

* making newer software versions available in a single repository (e.g.
centos-plus) quickly becomes messy because users may not want/trust every
new thing in that repository, and then they have to use
includepkgs/excludepkgs in yum repo definitions to limit what they see. It's
cleaner/easier to add/remove repos.

* in most cases, these newer software versions are not distro specific, i.e.
they will work across rhel, centos, scientific, oracle, ....

* t'would be a shame to end up with two slightly different ways of
accomplishing similar goals (coprs for fedora/epel, SIG repos for centos).

But I'm just one voice...