[CentOS-devel] The Branding Hunt. Ed. 7

Mike McLean mikem at imponderable.org
Fri May 23 15:30:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>
wrote:

> On 19/05/14 10:23, Bojtos Péter wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Can't we use the packagelist from RHEL 6 as an initial list of packages,
> > which need to be "re-branded"?
> >
> > Peter
>
> Yes, that would be a good start, indeed.
> Also worth noting that several packages were modified/patched because of
> the logo, but *also* for functional changes.
> As an example, the conga SRPM in el5/el6 has been modified to also
> roll-in CentOS support (for the ricci/luci nodes) so sometimes
> "branding" isn't the only thing to search for, but also functional code
> change required too

In case it helps. I generated a list of changed rpms in c6 a while back,
including a short summary of the changes:

abrt
 • change gpg keys (swap rh patch for similar centos patch)
 • change desk-vendor macro in spec
anaconda
 • three patches
 • bump release?
centos-indexhtml
 • analogue of redhat-indexhtml
 • different content
centos-release
 • analogue of redhat-release
dhcp
 • branding patch
 • change vvendor macro in spec
firefox
 • new default prefs file
  ∘ changes general.useragent.vendor
  ∘ also storage.nfs_filesystem? dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nswrapper?
intentional?
gnome-desktop
 • change %configure distributor parameter in spec
httpd
 • new index.html source file
  ∘ index.html -> centos_index.html
  ∘ is the rename necessary?
 • change vstring macro in spec
initscripts
 • patch: changes to rc.sysinit
  ∘ print CentOS on boot if "$system_release" =~ "CentOS"
kabi-whitelists
 • description change
kabi-yum-plugins
 • summary/description change
kde-settings
 • branding patch, hits several files
luci
 • add favicon
 • patch to add Centos to uname_str based behavior switch
ntp
 • add CentOS Pool servers (spec change only)
openssl098e
 • description change in spec
plymouth
 • remove everything-is-better-in-red patch
 • note: this appears to be purely aesthetic.
redhat-bookmarks
 • not renamed [?]
  ∘ maybe a dep issue
 • changed default-bookmarks source file
 • spec branding edits (summary, url, description)
redhat-logos
 • tarball changed
 • spec changed, basically a fork
redhat-lsb
 • spec rebranding. summary, description
sos
 • added centos branding patch (long, lots of translations)
system-config-date
 • spec change -- adjust POOL_NTP_ORG_VENDOR
  ∘ no changelog entry
thunderbird
 • new default prefs file
  ∘ change user agent
virt-p2v
 • source file (iso) changed
  ∘ changed splash.jpg in isolinux dir
  ∘ also boot.cat differs, probably (re)generated
 • spec: change explicit dist tag
virt-who
 • drop python-rhsm req (not shipped)
xorg-x11-server
 • spec changes only
 • change vendor name in bodhi_flags macro
xulrunner
 • new default prefs file
  ∘ user agent
  ∘ startup.homepage
  ∘ homepage_override_url
  ∘ homepage_welcome_url
yum
 • yum.conf.centos
  ∘ setting changes
   ‣ installonly_limit, bugtracker_url, distroverpkg
 • yum-updatesd.conf.centos
  ∘ no changes apart from name
 • corresponding .fedora conf files dropped
 • spec
  ∘ Requires: yum-plugin-fastestmirror
 • I'm not sure any of this counts as debranding

In addition, there were several packages rebuild with .centos in the
release that did not appear to have any source changes. I assume these were
rebuilds due to build environment issues rather than code or branding
issues.
at-spi
gnome-applets
gtk2-engines