[CentOS-devel] The CentOS Release Number Typography

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:05:13 UTC 2014

On 5/28/14, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
> Let's not worry about the number itself. I would suggest we drop the
> number, and tnstead lets focus on the 'CentOS' so that the artwork is
> reusable and can be adapted as needed. Would that work for you?

Reusing artworks (specially brands) is one of my goals and work
directions in CentOS Artwork SIG. In that sake, removing the release
number from The CentOS Brand would be a good idea but, in some cases,
it is not always an viable option (e.g., consider release-specific
artworks like the installation media). If we remove the release number
from such artworks, only the artistic motif would remain in them as
visual identifier to infer what release number the artwork (and more
importantly the software it represents to) pertains to. Using the
release number is a matter of adding more information and reducing,
this way, any sort of confusion about what release of CentOS one is
really using.

I think that dropping the release number from prominent areas wouldn't
help people to know better what major release of CentOS distribution
they are using in their computers. This is true for other areas as
well (e.g., documentation). However, I agree; it introduces a work
load every time a new release is out and that isn't very good.

This way, the CentOS Artwork SIG is addressing this issue by writing a
tool for automating the image rendition process, so it is possible for
the community to produce all release-specific images with a single
command. I wouldn't like to limit this tool so the community can use
release number in the images if they need to, at some point. And, to
do so, the typography information The CentOS Project wants to use for
it is always necessary.

-- al.