[CentOS-devel] Small Business SIG suggestion

Omar Eljumaily

omar1 at omnicode.com
Thu May 1 22:15:19 UTC 2014

I'm trying to see if there's interest in a small business oriented SIG.

There are already small business distros based on Centos, and perhaps
those groups may also want to participate in a SIG.  There are certain
issues related to small office servers that I believe deserve to be
addressed in a community setting.  For instance:

1. Easy backup, archive, & offsite mirroring. - Something that is always
problematic for every small business I know regardless of server technology.

2. Security issues specifically related to small business.

3.  Smooth updating.  Trying to make the transition from one major
release to the next as easy as possible.

4. Plugable/scalable vertical market application architecture.  For
instance making the platform hospitable to vertical applications like
accounting systems in which the end user doesn't have to spend weeks
setting up hosting stacks.

5.  Easy user account management, perms setup, etc.

6.  Interoperability, easy scalability with cloud systems.  For instance
explore ideas like having cloud based file server backup that can also
be used as live system in case of local failure.

Just some ideas, but anyway if anybody's interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Omar