[CentOS-devel] Creating a CentOS-only package

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Thu May 15 23:08:24 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 02:59 PM, Kay Williams wrote:
> Perhaps an 'epel-plus' repo would make sense (someday)? Or an epel
> service for hosting misc repos for newer-than-rhel packages.
>
> Not a big deal, just mulling that the qpid packages are not
> centos-specific (sorry, I know this is the centos-devel mailing
> list)...

Well, the idea is definitely to provide "a general solution for
hosting repositories for newer-than-RHEL-packages", if you accept that
as a description for what SIG variants do.

In discussions with Fedora folks, everyone seems fine with EPEL
sticking to it's original mission (and accepted brand.) There have
been discussion in Fedora for something Robyn calls EPIC (Extra
Packages for Infrastructure and Cloud), which is somewhat what you
describe - items that are newer and faster-moving.

Regardless, I think the first part stands - CentOS variant SIGs are
able to maintain newer-than-RHEL packages in their own repos. If they
want/need to share maintainership with another SIG, then all need to
decide which SIG has the package and maintain it as if in a higher
tier, meaning >1 can rely upon it.

- - Karsten