[CentOS-devel] Creating a CentOS-only package

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri May 16 00:27:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 02:59:02PM -0700, Kay Williams wrote:
> Perhaps an 'epel-plus' repo would make sense (someday)? Or an epel service
> for hosting misc repos for newer-than-rhel packages.

You could use Fedora's Copr service for exactly this -- it can build against
EL 5, 6, and 7.

Basically, you just upload SRPMs, check what you want to build against, and
a usable repo comes out. See http://copr.fedoraproject.org/ or this blog
post http://bkabrda.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/introducing-copr-build-system/
. The only restrictions are that it has to be open source and legal for Fedora
to distribute.

In Fedora, there are some dnf (experimental branch of a next-generation yum)
plugins which make searching easier, and work on a "Playground", an
aggregated set of coprs that agree to play nicely together. Some of that
could happen for CentOS as well with yum plugins (I don't think there's
really anything special about dnf here it just happens that that's what was
made.)