[CentOS-devel] The CentOS Release Number Typography

Alain Reguera Delgado

alain.reguera at gmail.com
Wed May 28 14:34:53 UTC 2014

On 5/27/14, Jitse Klomp <jitseklomp at gmail.com> wrote:
> The font used for the C5 release number is Denmark, though. So if you're
> working on artwork for C7 I suggest you just use Denmark, the 7 is quite
> nice :)

Well, this seems to be not an ordinary decision for anyone to take.
The typography used in The CentOS Brand (release number included)
affects The CentOS Project visual identity and I guess only The CentOS
Project leaders can take a definitive decisions to this respect.

Consider someone working on public design models that anyone can use
to massively help The CentOS Project in the process of branding images
with customized artistic motifs. Some of the images produced this way
(e.g., installation media) require the CentOS release number in them.
It would be a wrong direction to use one typography in public design
models and other different in prominent parts of The CentOS Project
(e.g,. it contradicts the idea of visual consistency we are trying to
achieve).

So we, as community, need to coordinate what typography we are going
to use in further releases of CentOS so as to strictly preserve the
visual consistency of the final images the community can produce. And,
to grant this, it is absolutely necessary to make public the
typography we use in all cases.

Thank you,
al.