[CentOS-devel] The CentOS Release Number Typography

Alain Reguera Delgado

alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri May 30 20:21:13 UTC 2014

On 5/30/14, Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello Alain and others by the way!
>
> I have not been very active on the list before, so I figured I'd
> say hi. :-)
>
> I'm a designer based in Finland, and have been helping with
> design needs here and there a bit (the new website, conference materials
> and booth signs etc) when kb and others have had a need.

Hi Tuomas,

Thank you very much for your contributions. It would be fascinating if
we could join forces in the CentOS artworks, coordinating directions,
and distributing the work to get better results. I'm not a
school-graduated artist but I feel an enthusiast of both programing
and graphic design. I enjoy studying the work of others, and making
contributions based on what I learn from them.

> Yeah. The newest installer seems to have the version number displayed
> as text in the actual installer UI, which still shows the version number
> but it is not part of the actual graphics. This of course makes it
> easy to, say, create a minor version update without having to touch
> the graphics at all, if design resources were limited.

I haven't seen the new installer in action yet but, based on this, I
am feeling quite happy with it :). Having the release number as text
in the installer might reduce the need of having the release number
inside the CentOS distribution artwork, too. For example, I guess it
would be possible to create a strong visual connection between the
CentOS release number (text), the CentOS logo (image), and the
artistic motif (image) somehow in the installer so as to achieve low
maintenance and still a consistent visual connection among these
components.

To avoid confusions, each major release of CentOS must use a unique
artistic motif.

--al.