[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 gome system monitor CPU usage

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Nov 11 00:46:09 UTC 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Not sure if this is the right place to post this; if not, my
> apologies.
>
> I've been testing CentOS 7 and I've been having a problem with CPU
> usage.
>
> I first set up a VM with 4 procs (2.66 GHz Xeons), loaded the Gnome
> desktop, and ran system monitor. I got ~50% CPU usage on all four procs,
> doing absolutely nothing but running system monitor.
>
> I was suspicious of this result since it was in a VM. So I loaded 7 onto
> a real server (a Dell PowerEdge 1800) and tested again. The 1800 has 2 x
> 2.8GHz Xeons and system monitor maxed out both CPUs.
>
> I'm astounded. I have no way of knowing if the problem is also present
> in RHEL 7. I can say it's not at all present in CentOS 6.5. I have a
> fair amount of experience with that OS.

That is basically GNOME 3, which requires 3D acceleration, either not performing well with your hardware or using software-based 3D.  Use KDE instead... or use MATE or XFCE from EPEL... and you'll notice normal performance.

There is nothing atypical about your experience.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street